In the last couple of days, many of you have noticed (I hope), that I am now displaying ads on Beirut Spring. In this post, I’ll quickly explain why I think this is a good step and why I think you should do the same if you have a blog.
At a certain point, when a blog starts getting a healthy amount of loyal readers and traffic, 2 things start to happen:
- PR agencies and business owners start sending you daily emails with requests disguised as “something you might be interested in sharing with your readers”, in the hope of getting free publicity
- Your hosting company –ie the place where your blog is stored and served to the world– starts telling you that you need to upgrade to the “professional” plan because you’re using up too much resources (code for high traffic).
By creating an advertising package which I think is very attractive to advertisers without being annoying to readers, I think I can solve both problems simultaneously:
- I will have a standard response to publicity solicitors “If you want I have a nice and affordable advertising package”
- An income that is just enough to cover hosting fees 1
I am glad that I don’t need the money, but I don’t want to think of Beirut Spring as another costly habit. I already have coffee for that.
I want to sincerely thank those who have already started supporting Beirut Spring with their ads. If you too are interested in targeting my smart, rich and good looking readers, there’s still one more slot available for the next few weeks. Get in touch to book it now.
- Please don’t feel compelled to propose cheap hosting solutions or hosting it yourself for me. I’m happy where I am and this is less about money and more about the principle of the blog supporting itself ↩